It should come as no surprise to anyone who have in the past read my "blog" or to anyone I have talked with on other forums that I have a ... issue.. with regards to games requiring cd-in-drive, games that install hidden drivers on my operating system(s) or offline games that require internet authentication/validation and contain time-consuming validation processes to install/extract the game [not to mention being difficult to operate in a no-internet-lan environment]. (To cover all bases, that would include StarForce games, Valve STEAM and any other implementation past-present-future).
While checking a list of some copy restricted games on nforce today, to check up on somebodys statement regarding the game Knights of Honor, recently reviewed at the Adrenaline Vault (www.avault.com) I thought to myself - How much money have I saved by not buying any more computer games because of the ..issue.
And more importantly, which games.
1. Battlefield 2 - Securom, GameSpy Linking, EAs issue with 12-minute modified demo servers, Past Experience with BF/BFV and cd-in-drive.
2. Half Life 2 - Valve Steam
3. Knights of Honor - Securom
4. FlatOut - Safedisc 4
5. Silent Hunter 3 - StarForce
6. Sacred + Addon - Cd-in-drive
7. Beyond Divinity - Cd-in-drive
8. Psi-Ops The Mindgate Conspiracy - Starforce
9. GTA3 San Andreas (PC) - Securom7
10. Stronghold 2 - SecuRom 7
11. KOTOR 2 - SeCurom
12. Doom 3 - Cd-in-drive
13. Empire Earrth II - Securom
14. SUperPower 2 - StarForce
15. Project Snowblind - Securom
16. Star Wars Republic Commando - Securom
17. Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines - SafeDisc 4
18. Sid Meyers Pirates - cd-check
19. Nexus The Jupiter Incident - Safedisc 3
20. Need for Speed underground 2 - Safedisc 3
Games released within the past 8 months.
Estimated cost: 35$ per game :700$
So I would just like to thank the BSA, ELSPA and the rest of the software industry for saving me 700$ that I
instead can spend on other stuff, such as vacations, drugs, alcohol or supporting www.eff.org with donations.
[Not to mention paying the 14$ subscription fee for World of Warcraft and WorldWar2 Online every month...]
x x x