- If you undo what you did, does it then work (Fences runs in the Windows Explorer process)?
Not after undoing the Fences related ones. it might have worked for slightly longer before restarting explorer, but it didn't fix it. After enabling ALL of the checkmarks (I had gotten rid of many other right click context menu junk), it works for a little longer now before restarting explorer. But these times before it restarts explorer is not vastly different before or after my changes, and it seems to be randomized according to some sort of event or something, so I don't think what I did was so useful. I DID also use regedit and I think maybe also winaero tweaker to get rid of other right click context menu items, but with regedit I don't think I can easily find my way back to undoing what I did (I didn't destroy the regedit entries, but I "disabled" a lot of different ones scattered all over the place in regedit to clean up the pesky right click context menu).
Its random nature just makes me think it's doing some sort of background process like just scouring the files or loading something and it's just upset that there are some missing right click context menu options or something. Or maybe it's prompting windows to do something and windows gets upset.
The delay until crash is what i'm really curious about.
- Is this in a corp environment - perhaps one where WebSense / Forcepoint is being used?
- Did you do the purge and re-install?
Yes, it worked for a little longer so I was fooled into believing it was fixed, but after restoring my layout it didn't last long until it would restart explorer.
- Did you try a clean boot?
- Are you running any multi-monitor software (Ultra-mon, Actual Multiple Monitors, etc)?
- Are you using Windows Slideshow