Now 100% repro
Thanks to the various people participating below, I've made this 100% reproducible for me. Steps:
- Quick start a new game as Advent (Loyalist or Rebel does not matter).
- Build a military lab and research corvettes.
- Build some corvettes and send them to a nearby world to fight the militia. For now, the corvettes' side and rear guns should fire properly. (We'll break that in a moment.)
- While the corvettes still have something to shoot at, save the game.
- Load the the game from the save you've just created in the previous step.
- The existing Advent corvettes no longer shoot their side or rear guns. Any new Advent corvettes built from this point forward also have non-functional side & rear guns.
The bug does not happen if you save/load before any of the corvettes are built, even if the research for them is complete. Which probably explains why they work fine in new games. Also, only the save game seems to contain corrupted state; simply saving the game does not trigger the bug in the working/memory copy; you have to load the bugged save game for the bug to happen. The bug also does not happen with either the TEC or the Vasari corvettes, but only with the Advent ones. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next version; Advent corvettes are bugged for me (as described above) in 1.82.
My original post from 2012 is below.
I'm not sure if this was the case in the previous versions, but in 1.03 the Vespa corvette is not shooting its rear guns at anything. I've only seen its forward beams firing. I remember that in 1.02 the TEC corvette was shooting both forward and aft guns.