Is there a strategy guide for how to play FE well? or perhaps one from WOM that might serve as a first approximation? I just downloaded the Beta over the weekend and have just started reading the forums, so have probably missed a lot of potentially relevant posts.
I haven't played through a whole game yet, but replayed one game (with a good start) a few times as I discovered mistakes I made. Here's a few things I think I've figured out, most of which are standard strategy game stuff, plus a couple of things I realized I don't know.
- Maintenance can be a killer in the early game. Specialize your cities: one that won't build troops anytime soon won't need all the military buildings. Watch for maintenance-reducing buildings that appear when your city levels up.
- You're going to lose troops in battles; make sure your military cities churn out replacements at a reasonable rate.
- Some improvements require an empty production queue; identify which cities have them, and don't build units there unless you're in somem emergency.
- Combined arms. There are a lot of possible different units, so presumably various combinations are better than a single type. For example, a few expensive blockers shielding a few cheap archers worked out well for me several times. But what about catapults? They slightly damage several units but in the few battles I tried, they didn't help a lot; one more knight would have been better.
- What should you do with the various champions you hire? They need to battle to get promotions, but some seem better suited to settling in a city. Do you put several in one army or spread them out among several.
I'm sure there's lots, lots more!