Currently working on 7 Deadly Sins 2.0 beta with GalaxyScenarioDef.galaxyScenarioDef and writing in some new textual changes to description for certain races to be revealed.STRING FILE
- This is perhaps tha biggest limit, as it limits the mods as a whole, and I reached this limit today. The limit for the ENGLISH STRING file is 5746. After this, the game will no longer reference the structure, ship, tech, planet, etc. And if you mouse over that particular new item, the game will dump. I have tried over and over, and this is it. The String file IS hardcoded with a limit of 5746
Current Value from English.str as of most recent 7DS 2.0 beta:
(56 stringinfo slots remaining)
With so few entries remaining, new races will be forced to use existing TEC/PHASE/PSI string entries, counterdesc just won't cover them. At least 5 new races are coming which will push the hardcode limit to the very max leaving nothing for additional races to use.
I don't know all the in's and out's of the English.str file, but unless the hardcode limit is bumped to ... say 25,000 just to be on the safe side, things are going to get ugly. /gets out the virtual scalpelCutting out to get more stringinfo slots:
1. Reduce the number of "IDS_STARNAME_###" will as well free some. We don't need 210 stars when we can custom name them in GalaxyForge. We can free up at least 150 entries by rewriting if we have to at the expense of maps with 60 stars having unique names -but not even I have made a map with 60 stars (yet).
2. "IDS_PLANETNAME_###" -upto 390 of these, but hell, I've made maps with 582 planetary objects... but can dump 190 of them giving us another 200. Just means randomgenerated maps with more than 200 planets might have issues.
3. 45 TECH/PHASE/PSI capitalship names... lolz. Only 25 needed per race so we can rip another 60 slots for our purposes.
4. We might be able to rip out some of the "Taunts" to give us maybe 50 entries to use. I don't need to read "OMFG, NOOB, All your base are belong to us" or another AiSmackTard attempt when they phase to my worlds, I see the infocard flash and sick ships on them.
-the danger with cutting stuff is that it might totally die, not a pleasant thought.
Every new Ability, Research, Buff, Frigate/Cruiser/Capital, Structure requires an entry in the English.str file. 56 entries are not enough to cover unless we rip hell out of the file and get 320 from star names, planet names, and capitalship names, but 320 won't be enough and You (IRONCLAD) probably don't like the idea of us doing it any more than we would.
Bump max value of the the String file to a limit of 25,000
Even if You, IRONCLAD, want to include new things for TECH,PHASE,PSI like 3 new frigs, 2 cruisers, 2 capitals, that's 21 stringinfo. If you make new abilities, 3 per race you're looking at another 9... anything new eats up stringinfo, so why not bump the hardcode limit to 25,000. Gives us all some elbow room.
Now, about the GalaxyScenarioDef file...
I'm working to get 3 additional races added completely, this means "planetItemType" entries galore, roughly 31-34 per race (vanilla included) and the potential for many more "planetItemsTemplate" -I've made 6 new ones for future possibilities.
This has bumped the "planetItemTypeCount" to 244 and "planetItemsTemplateCount" to 33, I don't know if there is a hardcode limit for stuff in the GalaxyScenarioDef file, but I'd like to know if there is one and what that limit is.
What limits exist regarding GalaxyScenarioDef.galaxyScenarioDef? Is there a KB sizelimit?
Mine is at 100KB now compared to the 40KB vanilla.starTypeCount limit?
8 atmplanetTypeCount limit?
49 atm though there will probably be new planets and groups added.orbitBodyTypeCount limit?
53 now but will grow with new planets.planetItemTypeCount limit?
I've got 244 in atm covering 7 races, averages 34 per race.playerTypeCount limit?
can't give out the number of races atm. sorry. Plan for 100 to be safe.planetItemsTemplateCount?
can't give out number for this either right now. I'll probably want to put in at least 100-200 more, is that a problem?
The main issue is the English.str file limit. Each new and unique (not just piggybacking other races desc/counterdesc stuff) ship/structure needs stringinfo entires, name/description/counterdescription(optional) at the least, to work properly.
25,000 should do everyone very well, but why not 100,000 just so nobody is back here in 6 months asking for another 25k stringinfo slots.
The other option of gutting the file .. I personally hate that one.
I'm asking about GalaxyScenarioDef only because I like map making and the ability to put down any ship and structure available wherever desired, which is why there are 244 planetItemType entries (includes Tech/Phase/Psi). If there are limits for GalaxyScenarioDef "COUNT" , I'd like to know them and like them to have at least 2 zeros added.
Also, is there a vertice limit with models?
Sounds: 1100 seems like a lot, but 7DS is probably pretty close to the limit if not over. 11000 seems better, was probably just a typo that the extra zero was left off.
Weapon limit... sure, gives some definition of what race uses what stuff, but we like tinkering with stuff and some of it turns out damn righteously cool.
Ability Limit: 4 keeps them from being ridiculously "endowed" like a "Smiling Bob" capital ship, but those 4 abilities on a capital are usually the really powerful ones. Having the limit at 8 will give the freedom to put additional stuff on them.
Please IRONCLAD, we won't disappoint you if you bump up the limits by a LOT.